Saturday, August 15, 2009

Once A Tomboy, Always A Tomboy...

Growing up I have always been more of a "tomboy" I guess you could say. Maybe it is because growing up, most of my friends were boys and so if I did not want to be bored I would go out and play with the guys. Still to this day I do not mind getting dirty every now and then, especially when I am playing a sport of some sort. I hated dressing up when I was little, and to this day I still prefer wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Don't get me wrong, I now do enjoy dressing up and being more feminine, but when I am at home and where I work I like being comfortable. I have always liked helping my dad in the garage whenever he was fixing something. I liked "playing around" with the tools he was not using. I especially liked hammering nails and things like that. When my dad would fix things around the house he would always call me or my older sister to come help him out, and when it came to moving around furniture he would again call me to help or my sister when she was home. He also liked to teach me how to throw a good punch in case we would ever have to defend ourselves. I think that is why he does not mind me doing tae-bo as a work-out, unlike my mom who seems to think it is not feminine.
I also liked hanging around my dad while he was fixing the car. Funny thing is, even to this day, all that observation has gone over my head. Cars are still pretty much a mystery to me. I think my dad has tried to show me how to change the oil in my car at least seven or eight times, and still for some reason I am totally clueless about how to do it. Today, however, I did something to my car that I figured out how to do all on my own. I changed my front blinker light bulb. My dad did not even know I needed it changed, and since I needed it done sooner rather than later I decided to try and figure it out on my own. I told myself that if it was too complicated than I would wait until my dad could change it, but I wanted to try it myself. So I went to the auto parts store and asked them to help me find the light bulb along with my oil filter because I need that changed as well. After the man helped me I went over to get some oil and I think he found me pretty amusing because when he asked me if I wanted a box for my oil, I thought he asked if I just wanted to buy a whole box of oil, so I told him no. When he asked me a second time if I would like something to hold all the stuff I was buying I said yes. He then said that I must need to get out more often. I felt like such a blond at that moment. I got the car stuff home and then proceeded to open my car manual to figure out how to get the light bulb in. It took me about fifteen minutes to figure it out, but I did do it. When I told my dad about it he laughed and said he was proud of me. I felt like a little kindergarten kid showing off my work. I can be such a dork sometimes.

No comments: