Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A refreshing story....

I was watching a Jason Everett talk the other day. On the dvd his wife was able to speak a little bit about her story. You see, apparently she did not live the most chaste lifestyle. After a few years of getting emotionally hurt through the wrong kind of attention she decided enough was enough and ended up changing her ways. She talked about how incredibly hard it was for her to stop going out and partying and flirting with the wrong kinds of guys. She found that it was easier to write her future husband a note after every time she sacrificed a night of "fun" for him. She then gave her husband those letters the first night of their honeymoon. She also talked about how one night in particular she was having a hard time living chastely because she missed the attention from guys in general. She said at the time she did not even know exactly what she was looking for and so she felt kind of in a rut. So one night she went to adoration at her local church and she broke down and cried to God about how confused and frustrated and hurt she was. She said she sat quietly there for awhile when she got the idea to write out the qualities she wanted in her husband. She said her list ended up with somewhere around thirty-five specific qualities for that future husband. She prayed to God and kind of made a bargain with him. She told him she would keep to the whole chastity thing if he would send her a guy who fit every single one of those qualities. She spend a few more years dating guys and getting to know them, but if they showed signs of pushing her into doing certain things she did not want to do, she would show them to the door. Eventually she did meet the guy who would become her husband, and after awhile she found that every single quality she wanted in a husband, this man ended up having it. So she kept her end of the deal and God kept His. She then challenged all the young ladies and woman in her audience to pray to God and make a list of their own and to then not back down from that list.
The other night I woke up and I could not go back to sleep so I decided I'd go to adoration at my church. While I was in Adoration, I did take the time out to do that simple challenge. I still have not made up my mind as to whether I want to put that list here on this blog, but I do have to say I feel much more sure of myself as to what I am looking for. I guess we'll see if I'll be as successful with this deal as she was.

No comments: