Monday, August 10, 2009

"We're adults.... When did that happen, and how do we make it stop???"

Yesterday I spent the late afternoon with an old friend. It was his last day here before he left for college and the seminary. It was a nice visit with him and his family, as always, but the fact that this guy is leaving for college today still throws me for a loop. I've known him since he was in kindergarten and he is now 18 and considered an adult, but to me I still see the little six year old kid who cried when his rosary broke while we were in the middle of praying it. Thinking about that memory I realize that I should have known then he was going to want to become a priest. We spent most of the time chatting about memories from growing up and homeschooling together, and then being all sentimental ended up causing me to start to tear up on him.
I hate crying in front of people. I can't explain why, but I get so mad at myself when I let it happen. I hate showing when I am upset because I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I think that telling my problems to other people is somewhat selfish. I can't really explain why I feel that way because I get annoyed with people who feel the same exact way when they end up breaking down on me. It's just a stupid flaw of mine I guess. Maybe it has to do with me being a little prideful. There's a quote I read a while back ago which fits me pretty darn well: "I am the type of girl who can be so hurt, but can still look at you and smile. The type of girl who is willing to brighten up your day even if she can't brighten up her own." I don't think I totally meant to go into all that pride stuff in this post, but I guess that's what happens sometimes when you let your mind wonder... it goes in a direction you wouldn't expect.
Anyway, so even though I know that yesterday was not a "final" good-bye to this person who has become a brother to me, but in a way it was a good-bye to the childhood part of our friendship. There are way to many memories with him growing up together that I could write a book. He will always hold a special place in my heart and there is no doubt in my mind we will be friends for life. The kind where I can't imagine my wedding without him being their to witness it, and if he does indeed make it to the priesthood I will fight so hard to make it to his ordination that nothing will stand in my way. The kind of friend who will no doubt be a godfather to one of my children. The thing that I love about this guy is that of all my friends who are not related to me, he knows me the best. There's another quote I found off of a bumper sticker on facebook; "A best friend is someone who pushed you to say your secret, didn’t say anything, hugged you, and wiped away your tears.” He is the guy that knows when I'm upset no matter how hard I try to hide it from everybody, and I try twice as hard to hide it from him. Sure, at the time I find it really frustrating and annoying, but if he didn't push me to let some emotions and secrets out, I would probably have kept them in until I would have blown up. I am lucky to have had him as a friend and "brother" in my life, and I really hope I have let him know enough how much I love and appreciate him, because I don't know what I would have done without him.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I think he knows... :) Count every gift of friendship like that as blessing that adds color and beauty and joy to your life...it seasons it so nicely. You seasoned his, as well..the only "sister" he is probably close to at all.
Peace in both of your hearts to know that you've had this kind of friendship. :)