Saturday, August 22, 2009

Through with "Good-byes"

This Summer for me was a really hard one. Mostly full of saying good-bye to many good friends. In fact, I feel as though that is what I have had to do all Summer is say good-bye. Saying one good-bye after another and another, well it kind of wears you out and can be emotionally draining. I don't think I have ever cried as much as I have this Summer because of all the good-byes I have had to say... They say it is always harder for the people who leave than the one's who were left behind... but I do not totally agree with that. I think there are different aspects that kinda stink for both the people who are leaving and those that get left behind.
Yes, the people who leave sometimes have a hard time. They are going to a new place filled with new experiences and new people. They have to learn to adjust to their new surroundings. If they want to try to not think about people they left behind it is possibly a little bit easier because they are not surrounded by people who know about the ones the person left, so they do not have to talk about them so much or hear their names brought up in a casual conversation.
The people who get left behind, well the story is a little bit different. They are surrounded by what is familiar to them, but I think in a way that can be harder on the person. To be surrounded by reminders of those that left... the places they hung out at, the people they hung out with... Usually they have a harder time trying not to think so much of the person who left because everywhere they go there are reminders of them.
It is hard either way. The "good-bye" process... learning how to adjust to everyday life without the people who helped make it brighter and easier to wake up and face the day.
I can officially say that after this Summer, I am now ready to have something new start. I'm ready for school to begin in a way so that I can meet new people and keep my mind busy with other things so that I won't be so mopey like I have been the past few weeks. There is a line from a song which goes, "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." I think that is a very true statement, and I guess in a way I am ready now for a new beginning too. I am ready to say"Hello" more than "Good-bye."

3 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Exactly. I'm not having the easiest time with it all, but I keep telling myself: "This is my life now."

Which is not to say that what has come before is a "previous life" or that friendships I had before now seize to exist.

Nope, but it is to say there is a new chapter that builds on that which was before.

I don't know if it's easier on the person left behind or the person leaving. Let's have a drink when I come back in a few months and we'll figure that answer out then!

Mike Keucher said...

and I like the new layout here!

Teresa said...

That sounds like a plan, Mike. The getting a drink thing.