Tuesday, November 24, 2009

We're here because God has a purpose for us

Recently since my retreat last week-end I have been reflecting a lot more on God's purpose for me... I mentioned in one of my posts below how a friend of mine said the words;

"Every morning you wake up it is because God has a purpose for you to fulfill. If He didn't have a purpose for you then He wouldn't have need for you to be alive."

Ever since she said that it really did hit me. I feel like 90% of the time from when I wake up to when I go back to bed I am so used to my normal daily routine that I lose the excitement of figuring out what God's plan is for me that day. I don't even think about it until right before I go back to sleep for the night. I think that is just really a sad thing that I don't even think about that concept more often, because what she said is just too true. Why else am I living if God doesn't have something for me to accomplish each day. The more I think about it the more I realize that maybe God's purpose for me right now is to be a listening ear for a friend who just needs to vent about something instead of keeping it pent up inside. Or maybe he has me here for the purpose of taking care of kids at work when they are missing their parents. Maybe I am here to keep people laughing with some of the silly things I do at work like break-out in random Disney songs and joke around to lighten the more serious and frustrated mood that has been slowly taking over my workplace... Basically, some of the things I may find really small and insignificant at the time may be just what God has me here for, and they are not insignificant to him. Realizing these things has actually helped me keep my patience a lot longer at work then normal.

Really, none of us will ever really know how much our smile or kind word, or enthusiasm for an unexciting task can help change another person's outlook on life. The only one who does know that is God, which is why he has us all wake-up and face the day. He knows all of our needs and how to help fix them, and if he uses us to get those things fixed then so be it. That's what we're here for after all.

1 comment:

Mike Keucher said...

Amen. One thing I love about Mother Teresa is how she go out and tell people to smile. It's the little things, I'm convinced, that make the biggest differences in the long run.